Our client is a major global diversified manufacturer, publicly held multi-billion dollar conglomerate HQ in Southwest, IN. They are currently looking for a Sr. Tax Analyst to specialize in state and local indirect taxes and sales tax at their corporate HQ. This person would report to the State and Local Tax Manager. They have filings in every state. They want a promotable individual. This person would supervise Sales Tax Clerks. The property tax is outsourced. This position would be responsible for the tax compliance for state, local and international tax laws and related tax accounting. This would manage the vertex TDM for sales tax compliance including maintaining the proper updates for taxability. The company offers an attractive compensation package for this growth oriented highly profitable company.
Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in accounting and 3-10 years public accounting and / or corporate accounting, experience with vertex required, experience with JD Edwards, Hyperion, Sage, and FAS (Fixed Asset System) and Corptax, and other equivalent tax technology preferred. Candidates must have experience with state and local, and sales tax. Candidates must be US citizens or permanent green card holders, no sponsorship is available. Company is anxious to hire.
Responsible for supporting the indirect tax function in a variety of state and local indirect tax areas (i.e. Sales tax, VAT, GST, property tax, Business licenses, etc.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Possess and maintain a working knowledge of state, local and international indirect tax laws as well as related tax accounting pronouncements.
- Prepare and review complex state, local and international indirect tax compliance.
- Participate in monthly indirect tax accrual and tax account reconciliation process.
- Develop and maintain process to obtain & manage exemption & resale certificates and other customer documentation.
- Manage Vertex TDM for sales tax compliance, including maintaining proper updates for taxability.
- Manage property tax compliance, assessments, billings, etc.
- Manage business license filings and payments
- Maintain various state tax compliance calendars
- Evaluate state nexus activities and provide filing recommendations, including the participation in specific state nexus studies and voluntary disclosures
- Participate in identifying, researching, scoping, analyzing, and implementing tax planning ideas with respect to tax return filing positions, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Manage the gathering and analysis of information for tax authority audits as they arise, including preparation of technical memoranda and correspondence with respect to IDR’s (Information Document Requests)
- Advise business units and other corporate functions on tax matters and policy as needed. Collaborate with the OpCo’s on taxability & collection matters specific to their industry
- Actively participate in due diligence, tax research and integration of newly acquired companies into Hillenbrand state tax processes
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Train and instruct interns/para-professionals and new staff in tax technology, systems and processes.
- Review and approve work product prepared by staff accountants, interns and para-professionals
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent from a college or university in Accounting or finance; and 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, advanced Excel knowledge preferred
- Be organized and able to efficiently manage project workloads from multiple sources
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Attention to detail and desire to continuously look for process improvements
- Strong oral and written communication
- Experience with Vertex required
- Experience with JD Edwards, Hyperion (or other equivalent ERP systems), SAGE and FAS fixed asset system, and CorpTax, CCH and other equivalent tax technology is preferred
Less than 10% travel is required.
What We Offer
- Competitive Pay + Health & Welfare Plans
- Vacation & Paid Holidays
- Generous 401K Matching Program – 4% (base pay) automatic contribution + $.50 for each additional dollar saved on the first 6% of pay saved.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance: Basic Life, Group Term Life, Voluntary AD&D & Business Travel Accident Coverage