Oversee the financial operations within the accounting department including coordinating the daily activities of accounting staff to quickly and accurately record transactions and analyze account balances of Consumer Reports.
- Develop and implement programs to enhance both the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- Effectively manage, supervise, develop and evaluate staff in a union environment.
- Closely monitor direct report performance and enhance the professional development of all staff.
- Process and manage all aspects of payroll function, including research and review of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) as it applies to employee compensation and modification of payroll policies as needed to comply with the IRC.
- Work with HR and Legal to develop and monitor the budget for employee related fringe benefit costs.
- Lead and oversee the fixed assets capitalization process including working with key stakeholders to ensure proper adherence to policy.
- Support the annual audit process; collaborates with auditors and internal staff to provide timely, accurate responses to auditor inquiries.
- Collaborates with the other Finance Division managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Stay abreast of the latest accounting developments and be able to write memos for updates to accounting policies or procedures as needed.
- Performs other special projects and duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in Accounting, CPA preferred, plus a minimum of 8 or more years experience in accounting operations including supervisory experience preferably in a union environment.
- Requires a solid understanding of GAAP accounting, internal controls, and financial statement preparation including footnotes.
- Strong budgeting, financial analysis, and analytical skills.
- Highly proficient at Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, & PowerPoint).
- Excellent accounting research skills (referencing authoritative literature).
Experience should include auditing and accounting in the publishing and not-for-profit industries, public auditing firm experience a plus.
- Previous supervisory payroll experience and knowledge of Oracle Financials and IBM Cognos (TM1) is a plus.
- Models behaviors that guide, motivate, and inspire individuals and groups towards reaching their goals.
- Is an excellent manager of people and projects.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Actively participates in discussions without dominating; has the patience to hear people out; builds on others thoughts/ideas.
- Excels at time and task management, scope and budget planning, including deadline management and contingency planning.
- Able to engage staff members and create a climate where people want to do their best.
- Ability to solve problems – identifies key questions and finds, collects, assimilates and analyzes data for trends and insights.
- Ability to reengineer processes to optimize efficiencies and accuracy.
Personal Attributes and Winning Behaviors:
- Expresses and promotes a positive “can-do” view and attitude.
- Self motivated – steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Is persistent and perseveres through challenging obstacles.
- Operates with urgency; today not tomorrow.
- Removes obstacles, overcomes hurdles, and gets things done.
- Accountable, proactive and disciplined – follows through.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse audience on major projects
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Normal physical requirements associated with working in an office environment and prolonged computer use.